[Spambayes] An Ever-Increasing Problem

Jesse Pelton jsp at PKC.com
Fri Dec 1 20:04:56 CET 2006

SpamBayes does not send any messages. Even if it did, it wouldn't
automatically send unsubscribe messages; the developers are very
conservative, as evidenced by their consistent stance against
automatically deleting messages.

I would guess that it's more likely that some spammer is sending
messages that purport to come from you (hence they bounce back to you if
they can't be delivered), or that your machine has become a spambot and
is actually sending the returned messages.

Others on the list may have more insightful and/or creative thoughts.

________________________________

From: spambayes-bounces at python.org [mailto:spambayes-bounces at python.org]
On Behalf Of Stephens B. Woodrough
Sent: Friday, December 01, 2006 12:50 PM
To: spambayes at python.org
Subject: [Spambayes] An Ever-Increasing Problem

Dear Sirs:

I have recently experienced a very large increase in "returned" emails
as "undeliverable."  I now receive over 500 each day.  The SpamBayes
filter, of course, places them in the Spam folder and they are later
deleted permanently.  I don't know for sure, but I suspect that since
virtually all of this returned email is coming from servers that were
used to forward spam which SpamBayes filtered, the filter program must
be sending a message back, asking to be "unsubscribed" - and that the
result is an ever-increasing cycle of repeated "returned" emails from
those servers.  Stated differently, are these new returned emails being
sent to me caused by "reply" emails being sent by SpamBayes, asking that
my address be "unsubscribed, which are then returned back to me as
"undeliverable?"  If so, is there any way to disable the SpamBayes
feature that sends a reply email asking that I be unsubscribed?

This is becoming a very BIG  problem for my office, and I would be very
appreciative of any help.

Sincerely,

Stephens B. Woodrough
THE BANKING LAW FIRM
100 Beach Drive Suite 1801-03
St. Petersburg, Florida  33701
http://www.fedbanklaw.com <http://www.fedbanklaw.com/>
Tel. (727) 898-9009
Fax. (727) 898-9006

NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachment to this e-mail message
contains confidential information that may be legally privileged. If you
are not the intended recipient, you must not review, retransmit, convert
to hard copy, copy, use or disseminate this e-mail or any attachments to
it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us
immediately by return e-mail or by telephone at (727) 898-9009and delete
this message. Please note that if this e-mail message contains a
forwarded message or is a reply to a prior message, some or all of the
contents of this message or any attachments may not have been produced
by the sender.