[Spambayes] My mail is being picked up as SPAM

Jesse Pelton jsp at PKC.com
Wed Dec 13 15:29:09 CET 2006

Bob may have a point regarding HTML in e-mails; perhaps I have fallen
for an urban myth. People I work with who want to send HTML e-mails have
often run afoul of various spam filters and believed that to be at least
in part because of the use of HTML. I don't know how rigorous their
determination was, or whether the situation at that time pertains today.
And I generally delete messages that are clearly spam without reading at
them (isn't that the point?), so I can't say whether the messages I
classify as spam are disproportionately HTML, or HTML messages are
disproportionately spam.

Bob, when you say "a high percentage of the spam I see is plain text,
with or without included JPEG images," are you saying you get non-HTML
messages with attached images, or HTML messages composed of undecorated
text and embedded images? I don't think there's any way to embed an
image in a text/plain message.

________________________________

From: spambayes-bounces at python.org [mailto:spambayes-bounces at python.org]
On Behalf Of Coe, Bob
Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 8:43 AM
To: Mel Jensen; spambayes at python.org
Subject: Re: [Spambayes] My mail is being picked up as SPAM

We use Barracuda (a variant of Spam Assassin, IIRC) at work, and my wife
and I use Spambayes at home. Both work pretty well, and in neither case
have I seen any correlation between false positives and HTML. (Spambayes
doesn't give false positives; Barracuda does, but for other reasons.) IN
MY OPINION, the assertion that "the most important thing you can do" to
keep your messages from being labelled as spam is nonsense.

Just as there are some people who irrationally despise cell phones,
Windows, Unix, the Macintosh, etc., etc., there are those who see HTML
mail as the personification of the devil and rail against it at every
opportunity. (BTW, I don't include Jesse Pelton, who usually makes good
sense, among such extremists.) They're fighting a losing battle, of
course, but they do insist on fighting it; and their prejudices
sometimes seep into the common lore. You can try sticking to plain text
and see if helps, but I'd be surprised if it made a difference. FWIW, a
high percentage of the spam I see is plain text, with or without
included JPEG images. (This does NOT apply to "phishing" exploits; to
achieve a credible degree of deception, they pretty much have to be
HTML.)

Bob