[Spambayes] Training on unusual ham - revisited

Allen netsecurity at sound-by-design.com
Sat Feb 11 05:22:44 CET 2006

Seth,

Having recently been a victim of DNSBListing I strongly advice against
doing this as many of the lists are bogus and even the good ones make
too many mistakes or are too broad so netblocks get denied access to
e-mail when it is one rogue hijacked domain that is the source of the
problem.

What happened is that someone used a stolen credit card to activate a
domain on the same hosting service I am on. The entire hosting service
was knocked off the net for 24 hours, and I had e-mail rejected over a
week later because of a lack of attention to what was happening on the
part of the receiving domain.

A much better approach would be to look for forged headers in the spam.
Almost 80+% of spam has a forged HELO line or two. If they were stopped
at any router with a little checking script we'd all be better off and
not suffer from being denied access because of some third party f%^&ups
that we have no control of.

Thanks,

Allen Schaaf
Information Security Analyst
Training & Instructional Designer
Sr. Writer & Documentation Developer
Certified Network Security Analyst and
Intrusion Forensics Investigator - CEH, CHFI
Certified EC-Council Instructor

Security is lot like democracy - everyone's for it but
few understand that you have to work at it constantly.