[Spambayes] SpamBayes Project Status

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Mon Feb 13 18:07:33 CET 2006

    Richard> What is the status of the SpamBayes project?  I really love it
    Richard> and I recommend it to everyone I talk to but it seems like it's
    Richard> getting stale.  Are you guys still maintaining it or should I
    Richard> look elsewhere for my spam protection?  :)

Is it failing as a result of being stale?  My experience is that mold has a
hard time getting a good grip on electrons.

As Bob Coe indicated, the algorithm is sound.  The composition of your
training database is key to keeping things running smoothly.  I fairly
routinely delete old messages from my database, especially old spam.  I
think that helps in a few ways:

    * keeps the database from growing without bound

    * purges the database of mistakes

    * purges the database of messages that no longer represent the sort of
      mail I get now

That said, I'm not an Outlook user.  I have no idea how to purge old
messages in that environment.  If you suspect problems with your database,
clearing it and starting from scratch my be the best route.

Skip