[Spambayes] SUMMARY Spybot terminates 1.04 install

Bernie Dwyer dwywit at bigpond.net.au
Sun Feb 26 00:18:36 CET 2006

Tony Meyer:

> This is obviously a bug in Spybot.  We are not able to do anything
> about this; you should contact Spybot informing them of the problem.

> =Tony.Meyer

I thought that was probably the case - no references from Google or
sourceforge about these symptoms, and I'm unlikely to be the first to
discover it :-) I thought it might be wise to check first.

Allen:

> Actually it might be more specific than that. I have installed both
> Spybot and SpamBayes on XP machines of various levels of patch, for the
> most part without problems.

> I suspect there is a registry issue involved in this as the only time I
> ever had a problem was when I failed to clean and defrag the registry
> before installing. JV16's free Registry Cleaner can be found on the net.
>  It is an older version, 4.43 I believe, but does the cleaning trick
> quite well. I've been using Fixit tools for the defrag for years but I'm
> sure there are other ways to accomplish this.

> After I did both, installation went just fine.

> BTW, I always put Spybot on a Windoze machine as the very first step to
> cleaning it up.

> Allen

Yep - AVG, Zonealarm, Spybot and Adaware for all my customers. Unless they
insist on keeping Norton...

I'll follow your advice about the registry and try again.

Tim Stone:

> Did you download the version of Spambayes that you were installing from
> spambayes.sourceforge.net?  If not, please do so and try again.  I
> suspect that the version you got had been corrupted.

Yes, that's where I got the copy for the second attempt.

Thanks for your quick reponses and help

regards

Bernie Dwyer