[Spambayes] Multiple XP Users Confuses sb_service

Kyle Forbes kyle at micheleguieu.com
Sat Jan 14 06:15:57 CET 2006

I'm stumped by this problem.  My wife and I use Outlook express, and we each have our own account on our XP machine.  When we both use the sb_tray program, the last one to start it up on his/her account apparently dictates where SpamBayes will retrieve its configuration information.  Seeing this, I decided that maybe the best thing to do was to install the sb_service to provide a central mechanism for filtering spam on our computer.

The service starts automatically, and that seems to work fine.  I can login to either of our accounts and retrieve email.  However, the sb_tray program seems confused.  Whoever runs the program first prevents the other one from running it.  The first person to run it gets an active tray program through which he/she can review messages and configure the server.  If I login to the second account, the sb_tray program doesn't work -- it says SpamBayes isn't running.  Even if I shut down the first user's instance of the tray program, the second user can never seem to get an active connection to the service.  Is this a known bug?  How can two outlook express users review messages via the sb_tray program?

Thanks.

Kyle