[Spambayes] I know, another clueless newbie question....

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Mon Jan 23 03:51:09 CET 2006

> +OK X1 NT-POP3 Server ipsmin0168atl2.interland.net (IMail 6.06
> 3264689-1) [ISafe POP3 Proxy]
> CAPA
> +OK Capability list follows
[snip]
> IMPLEMENTATION Ipswitch_IMail_5.0
> .
> AUTH PLAIN

This is the AUTH command of RFC1734, I presume.  I wonder if this is
causing problems (I'm not familiar with it myself), although I can't
think why it would.

> + VXNlcm5hbWU6
> c291bmRieXRlQHNvdW5kLWJ5LWRlc2lnbi5jb20=
>
> USER xxxx at sound-by-design.com
> + UGFzc3dvcmQ6
> PASS xxxx

This is where it gets particularly odd...

> CAPA
> -ERR Invalid userid/password
> AUTH PLAIN
> -ERR Not in authorization state
> AUTH LOGIN
> +OK Capability list follows
> c291bmRieXRlQHNvdW5kLWJ5LWRlc2lnbi5jb20=
> TOP
> USER xxxx at sound-by-design.com
> USER

This seems all jumbled up.  There's an additional CAPA command before
the USER/PASS is rejected, then an AUTH PLAIN after it is but before
the CAPA response (which doesn't appear), then an AUTH LOGIN (RFC1734
again, I suppose) command, then TOP (which should only be sent after
a successful login), then it starts back with USER...

I tried Thunderbird 1.5 myself, but none of the POP servers I have
access to support the AUTH command, so it just gets an error and
continues.  My finger is pretty firmly pointed at AUTH at the moment.

Could you open up a command window (Start->Run->cmd.exe) and type
"telnet {mailserver} 110" and try logging in without the AUTH
business?  The commands are basically as above:

USER {username}
+ Server should give some sort of ok, please enter password response
PASS {password}
+ Server hopefully says it is ok
LIST

(list will just list the messages on the server, to demonstrate that
it is logged in).  Note that the telnet that comes with Windows isn't
great, and won't work properly if you use backspace, so you'll need
to type it without any errors.

If that works, then it must, I think, be the AUTH command, and I'll
have to dig further to figure out what to do about that.

=Tony.Meyer