[Spambayes] SpamBayes + Exchange Server

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Mon Jan 30 10:14:59 CET 2006

> I found Spambayes yesterday and got an idea. I want to use it with my
> Exchange Server in the following way:
>
> The pop filters should get the emails from my ISP and should
> forward it to
> my Exchange Server, filtering out the Spam. OK, this should be no
> Problem

Are you saying that you want SpamBayes to collect mail from a POP
server and forward it, classified, to an Exchange server, without the
use of a mail client?  SpamBayes doesn't have the ability to collect
mail; you'll have to use something like fetchmail to do that.  Once
you've got it, you should be able to use sb_filter to classify it,
and then something else (maybe sendmail?) to get it to the Exchange
server.

> Is it Possible to use the Imap filter to train the pop filter ?

As long as only one process has the database open for write access at
once you can use whatever combination of the SpamBayes scripts to
train and classify as you like.

> I want to scan the Inbox of the Postboxes every night for good
> Emails, and a
> specific folder (where everyone has access) for bad emails. So
> users could
> move there Spam emails from the Inbox to this "Spam Folder".

sb_imapfilter does this, yes (assuming that IMAP access to the
Exchange server is enabled).

> This "Spam folder" also has its own internal adress, so the POP
> filter could forward
> SPAM messages to this Spam Folder.

Again, sb_server (nor any of the other SpamBayes scripts) doesn't
forward, deliver, or collect any mail.  You could setup the (e.g.)
sendmail solution to deliver it there, at least in theory.  Note that
any false positives would, of course, be globally available.

> The main thing is ... is it possible to train the
> POP Filter with the use of the IMAP Filter, and how do I do this ?

It seems to me that that's the least important thing here, but yes.
Simply give the scripts the same database to work with, and ensure
that only one opens the database at a time.

=Tony.Meyer