[Spambayes] questions about import email for training

Amedee Van Gasse amedee at amedee.be
Thu Jun 8 08:36:16 CEST 2006

> I looked at your company's website

LOL... afaik spambayes isn't a company, but a volunteer project. Just like
most great software :)

> and find there's information about how to import by using command
> line.(4.4 in frequent asked questions).I input command(python
> sb_mboxtrain.py -g ~/tmp/newham -s ~/tmp/newspam ) into the Windows
> comand prompt,it doesn't work. Later I key this command into Python2.3.5
> command line,still can't work.

I'm only a regular user, not one of the developers, but I'll try to help
as good as I can.
I use Linux, not "Windows", and I'm quite familiar with the command line.
Don't worry, concerning spambayes or python, the command line is identical
for "Windows" and Linux.

The syntax you used seems correct for what I would use on Linux. However I
notice you use ~ which on Linux is a subsitution for the current user's
/home directory. This is a different system from "Windows". I don't know
if you can use the ~ in "Windows". Don't blame spambayes, don't blame
"Windows". It's just different, just like driving on the left in the UK.
You should try again with the absolute path names of the mailbox files.
Something like "python sb_mboxtrain.py -g
E:\directory\where\you\copied\the\mbox\files\tmp\newham" (and similar for
the spam). Inside the python command line you obviously don't have to use
"python sb_mboxtrain.py" but just "sb_mboxtrain.py"

Also, it would be very, *very* helpfull if you would give any error or
status messages you get. We don't have a crystal ball so we cannot see
what is happening on your screen. Don't be afraid to be verbose.

Good luck!

Amedee Van Gasse

--
Disclaimer:
By sending an email to ANY of my addresses you are agreeing that:

   1. I am by definition, "the intended recipient"
   2. All information in the email is mine to do with as I see fit and
make such financial profit, political mileage, or good joke as it lends
itself to. In particular, I may quote it on usenet.
   3. I may take the contents as representing the views of your company.
   4. This overrides any disclaimer or statement of confidentiality that
may be included on your message.