[Spambayes] Filter before rules

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 21:46:36 CEST 2006

[digital tuning, inc.]
> Is there any way to get spambayes to process emails before outlook runs it's
> rule list??

Sorry, no way that we know of.  Left to its own devices, Outlook
appears to _interleave_ running its own rules with SpamBayes, so that
you can't predict much of anything, and there doesn't appear to be any
hook in Outlook to change this behavior.

The only thing we can do is make it _likely_ that Outlook's rules will
run first (not what you want), by giving you that mysterious ;-)
"enable background filtering" dialog in the SpamBayes manager's
Advanced tab.  The effect of that is really just to make the SpamBayes
code put itself to sleep a lot, in the hope that Outlook's own rules
will finish running before the time you specify runs out and SpamBayes
stops refusing to do anything.  That trick is effective in practice,
but nothing like it appears to exist to influence Outlook to _delay_
running its own rules.