[Spambayes] Does SpamBayes work with Hotmail or G-mail?

Seth Goodman sethg at GoodmanAssociates.com
Sun Jun 25 04:15:55 CEST 2006

On Tuesday, June 20, 2006 5:03 PM -0500, spambayes-bounces at python.org
wrote:

> It does not specifically work with either of those two products,
> although gmail does have a pop3 interface that spambayes could be
> used with.

There are numerous programs that manipulate web mail interfaces, collect
the mail and allow your mail client to access it as if it were POP3.
I've had very good luck with FreePops, which is licensed under the GPL
and you can find at http://www.freepops.org.  It's easy to set up, it
works nicely and it is actively maintained.  You can either install it
as a service or to load manually.  This program uses a special-purpose
scripting language for the particulars of each web interface that has
allowed them to develop and maintain POP interfaces for dozens of the
most common webmail providers, among them Hotmail.  Some of them allow
you to access alternate folders, which you normally would need IMAP to
accomplish.

This is of interest to anyone who uses a webmail service that does not
provide a POP interface, not just Hotmail.

--
Seth Goodman