[Spambayes] Domain name contains the word "spam".

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Mon Mar 13 21:14:56 CET 2006

[Bill Hely]
>> I own a domain with "spam" in the domain name so, because of the
>> way the proxy brands eMail, the Outlook Express rules trap all
>> messages to that domain as spam.
>>
>> I tried changing the [Headers]notate_to: item in
>> bayescustomize.ini to something more unique, but that didn't work.

The string that is added is the value in [Headers]
header_spam_string.  It will get added iff [Headers] notate_to
contains that string.

IIRC 1.0.4 has a bug with this that means you'll find it hard to set
both.  This is fixed in CVS, so if 1.0.4 doesn't have the fix, you
might have to move to that.  CVS also has a better notate_to system
(see below), so that could also solve your problem.

>> The Outlook Express how-to document suggests there is a
>> work-around, so...
>>
>> What is it please?

Don't use Outlook Express <0.5 wink>.

[Skip]
> I'm not a Windows nor an Outlook Express user, so take this with a
> grain of
> salt...  You might try annotating the subject instead of the to field
> (option: notate_subject).

That would certainly work.  The catch then is if you have other mail
whose subject that starts with "spam,".  (Note that you should
include the comma in the rule, to avoid catching just "spam").

> Finally, make sure that Outlook Express's filter rule is properly
> restrictive.  It should be filtering on "spam,", not just "spam".  You
> shouldn't see "spam," in a domain name.

Note that in 1.1 the 'notate to' system has changed somewhat, so that
it adds header_spam_string at spambayes.invalid.  This both makes it
easier to catch without false positives, and doesn't break the rules
of the To: header.  IIRC Outlook Express considers the comma in the
To header a recipient delimiter, so "spam" (no comma) will be a
recipient, and I'm not sure if you can filter to include the comma or
not.

=Tony.Meyer