[Spambayes] Domain name contains the word "spam".

Bill Hely bill.hely at helyholdings.com
Thu Mar 23 03:57:09 CET 2006

OK, I've picked up on Tony's suggestion and installed proxy
version 1.1a1 for Outlook Express.

The new annotations for the TO line do solve the problem I had
with 1.0.4 when the domain name contains the word "spam". I will
continue testing and report anything I find.

However, I am having difficulty getting the proxy server to
classify anything as "unsure". It seems that any messages that
aren't obviously spam are, by default, classified as "ham", not
as "unsure".

I am doing my testing by forwarding old and sending new mail to
an account in Outlook Express from different eMail accounts using
Outlook on the same PC.

Any ideas?

TIA
 - Bill H.

semi-colon.

> Yes, this is the OE problem I mentioned in the first email,
which is
> fixed in 1.1 by having the address as spam at spambayes.invalid,
> properly separated by a semi-colon.
>
> > Tony: I see what you mean about the bug in 1.0.4 - I tried
every
> > which-way to get it to work, but it seems that you just
cannot
> > change the displayed values that are annotated to the TO or
> > Subject lines. Any edits to the "notate_to:" lines results in
no
> > annotation at all.
>
> The way the notate options work is that they check to see if
the
> header_X_string that is to be added is in the option.  For
example,
> if the header_spam_string is "spam" (i.e. the default) and
notate_to
> contains "spam", then spam messages will be notated.  So you
need to
> change both the header_spam_string value to "my-own-spam-tag",
*and*
> change notate_to to include "my-own-spam-tag".  The catch is
that
> with 1.0.x the notate options will only accept "spam", "ham"
and
> "unsure" as valid values.
>
> > Since Outlook Express' filters can't read the
> > X-Spambayes-Classification value in the eMail header, this
> > doesn't seem to be solvable at the moment.
>
> This is the real problem, of course (the notate options are
pretty
> ugly).  However, it seems pretty unlikely that this will ever
be
> solved; I doubt Microsoft has any plans to update OE.
>
> > So the important question for me now is: How far off is the
> > release of 1.1.x, complete with an installer executable? I'm
> > reluctant to look into the CVS alternative, as I think it
> > complicates matters too much for my target audience.
>
> Every time I give a date I miss it, so I'm reluctant to do one.

> There really isn't much left to do to do a 1.1a2, and then if
people
> can be convinced to test that, a 1.1b1 could follow fairly
quickly
> afterwards, and (assuming no major problems were found) a
> final 1.1.
> This process could easily be done in a month (again assuming
> no major
> problems found).
>
> However, I really need to get paid work done first, then catch
up on
> releasing the python-dev summaries, then get my thesis
complete.  So
> I really don't know when I'll find the time to do it.  If
people bug
> me, I'll try as hard as I can to get 1.1a2 out this month. but
I'm

<http://tortoisecvs.sf.net>

> 4.  Do a CVS checkout of the spambayes source, as described on
the
> CVS page at <http://sf.net/projects/spambayes>
>
> > BTW, is there any documentation available on the legal
entries
> > for bayescustomize.ini? My INI file did not contain some of
the
> > entries that Skip showed.
>
> Options.py is fairly readable, and has the possibilities, and
> you can
> read that via viewcvs.  If you have the source, you can follow
the
> steps in FAQ 4.12:

<http://spambayes.org/faq.html#now-i-know-what-the-format-looks-l
ike-