[Spambayes] Outlook 2003 problem

Coe, Bob rcoe at CambridgeMA.GOV
Fri Mar 31 14:27:36 CEST 2006

Yes, several of us have had that experience. DEP definitely breaks
Spambayes.

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: spambayes-bounces at python.org [mailto:spambayes-bounces at python.org]
On Behalf Of Gregory De Schepper
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2006 2:26 PM
To: spambayes at python.org
Subject: [Spambayes] Outlook 2003 problem

Dear developpers,

I'm Gregory De Schepper, studied ICT,  and I've been using your program
for more then a year. But I found a possible solution for the problem
that Outlook hangs after the initial installation of Spambayes. Outlook
is automatically restarted and the plugin is disabled. I enabled the
DEP(Data Execution Prevention - My CPU supports it) option in Windows XP
so that all programs and windows services are protected against buffer
overflows. If some applications don't support the option then I noted
with one application that Windows XP automatically relates this to the
DEP option and offers automatically to use an exception for this app.
But it didn't report anything when the Spambayes plugin was loaded
during boot of Outlook what causes Outlook to crash. I searched all day
to make Spambayes work in Outlook 2003 because I like your work. There
wasn't any documentation available about this specific problem but I'm
sure that DEP can cause this as one of the reasons not yet mentioned on
the support pages. You can reproduce this behaviour instantly by
enabling DEP for all applications in Windows XP and then load Spambayes
for the first time.

I hope this helps and please keep me informed about your results.

Sorry, if this is not the right place to report a bug, but it can
help...

Regards,

Gregory De Schepper