[Spambayes] Disappearing not received mail! Have read troublshooting

amedee at amedee.be amedee at amedee.be
Sat May 13 19:10:02 CEST 2006

Dear Richard,

I am not a developer, just a user like you, but I'll try to help.

> Our e-mail is disappearing

That is very unfortunate.
But you should know that SpamBayes probably isn't responsable. It has no
email deleting capabilities, not intentionally anyway. See
http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/faq.html#how-can-i-configure-spambayes-to-delete-spam-rather-than-moving-it
and
http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/faq.html#some-of-my-mail-is-going-missing
Your mail probably isn't gone, but is just somewhere you don't know where
to look.

> I have read the trouble shooting and I can't figure out what is going on.

ENOCRYSTALBALL
I have read your email and I can't figure out how SpamBayes is set up on
your system.
I see you use "Microsoft Outlook IMO, Build 9.0.2416 (9.0.2911.0)" so
chances are you use the Microsoft Outlook plugin. If you have installed
that in a normal way, just Next, Next, Next, Finish, then you should have
a separate folder in Outlook where all the spam goes. Perhaps this folder
isn't in the Outlook shortcut bar, but I'm pretty sure there is a FAQ
entry somewhere that describes how you can solve that.

> I had airline confirmations coming in and they have disappeared,
> had confirmation for a convention and they have disappeared.
> Also job resume that have been sent have disappeared.

That sounds logical, because confirmation messages usually look A LOT like
spam messages, and since the are usually a low volume, it is very
difficult to train on them.
I'm absolutly certain that most other antispam solutions "out there" would
have made the same classification mistake.

> This can't continue or we will need to stop using your program.
> Fix this or we're done.

I believe in Choice, and Freedom of Choice. It's a Free World, and
SpamBayes is Free Software.
You can choose to change your attitude, be friendly and get help, or you
can choose to stop using SpamBayes. In my experience developers don't
react very well to threats, and since you didn't pay any money for
SpamBayes, the devs won't earn any less money.
I'm sorry for these hard words, but it seems to me you haven't yet
experienced the "culture shock" that most people need to behave normal on
the internet. Normal meaning behaving exactly as you would in real life.
I'm assuming you're just a nice bloke in real life, just like all of us.

> Thanks

You're welcome

--
Amedee Van Gasse