[Spambayes] BadIMAPResponseError: "Cannot find saved message"

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Wed Nov 1 15:44:56 CET 2006

Matt Stegman <matts at ksu.edu> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I've just started using Spambayes 1.1a2, and I'm quite happy with it (I
> had been using the Outlook plugin until now).  However, I'm seeing an
> intermittent problem with sb_imapfilter.py.  It will routinely crash while
> talking to the IMAP server, and always with the same error message:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/sb_imapfilter.py", line 1284, in ?
>     run()
>   File "/usr/bin/sb_imapfilter.py", line 1266, in run
>     imap_filter.Filter()
>   File "/usr/bin/sb_imapfilter.py", line 1067, in Filter
>     self.unsure_folder, self.ham_folder)
>   File "/usr/bin/sb_imapfilter.py", line 970, in Filter
>     msg.Save()
>   File "/usr/bin/sb_imapfilter.py", line 723, in Save
>     raise BadIMAPResponseError("recent", "Cannot find saved message")
> __main__.BadIMAPResponseError: The command 'recent' failed to give an OK response.
> Cannot find saved message
>
> Usually it'll run OK for a day or two, but sometimes for just a few hours
> before crashing.  If I don't notice for a while and messages pile up in
> the inbox without being classified, Spambayes will sometimes crash before
> classifying a dozen or less messages, when I start it again. I've tried
> training several times, and have never seen this error; it's only appeared
> when classifying.  Also, the server runs Courier IMAP, but I don't know
> the version.  I'm using IMAP over SSL, on port 993.
>
> I found that I'm not the first person to see this error message:
>
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/spambayes-dev/2004-November/003232.html

And not the last either.  I can confirm that I've seen the same
effect.

Unfortunately, IIRC, nobody is actively maintaining sb_imapfilter.py
because none of the spambayesians really understands IMAP well.  We
need someone who understands the protocol to fix these things.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting