[Spambayes] Outlook Warning Message

Ken Fulks kef at wideopenwest.com
Mon Nov 13 17:36:57 CET 2006

I have installed Spambayes on several computers in our church office to eliminate a significant amount of spam that they receive.  Most users are very happy with the program and its effectiveness, and the fact that they do not need to do anything for it to work.

However, on only one computer, an Outlook warning pops up every time they create a new email message.  The warning states that "Another program is trying to access the Outlook address book. Do you want to allow this access?" The user can then select whether to allow the access for anywhere from 1-10 minutes.  This does not happen on the other 4 computers using Spambayes with Outlook.

All of the computers are similar model Dell Dimension desktops with Pentium 4 processors, Windows XP Pro with SP2 and all updates. All use Office 2002 and the Outlook version that comes with that.  They are connected in a peer to peer network and email service is provided by Yahoo mail, which is why they get tons of spam. (I am not in charge of which service we use, just a volunteer network support person.)

The Windows Knowledge base recommends using the Outlook Add-In Manager to disable the particular add-in. (Tools/Options/Other/General-advanced Options/Add-In Manager)  However, then Spambayes does not work.

Do you have any suggestions on how to eliminate this warning message whenever a new email is created in Outlook?

Thanks,

Ken

PS.  I learned about Spambayes from Maximum PC magazine.