[Spambayes] OT: How to send a Unix mbox of mail to an Outlook user?

Seth Goodman sethg at goodmanassociates.com
Wed Nov 29 09:38:16 CET 2006

skip at pobox.com wrote on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 11:05 PM -0500:

> I have a bunch of email messages in typical Unix mbox format.  I
> wrapped them up in a MIME digest and forwarded them to my
> correspondent, but cc'd my gmail address as well.  Gmail didn't do
> anything useful with the attachment (like explode the digest into
> individual emails), so I'm skeptical that my Outlook-using
> correspondent will get them in a form he can use.  I won't know
> until tomorrow sometime, but I'm skeptical this worked.  Any
> thoughts?

I ran across http://www.broobles.com/imapsize/mbox2eml.php.  This
converts the mbox file to eml (individual Outlook Express messages),
so there's an extra step to get to Outlook.  I tried it on an mbox
saved from Evolution on a Debian box and it worked.  If you don't
have access to a Windows box, I'd be happy to convert some files for
you.

Another option is to read it into Eudora, which produces Eudora's
special indexed mbox files.  Outlook can import these directly for
version 3 and earlier of Eudora (at least for Outlook2K).

Yet another thing you could do is to make the mbox available through
an IMAP server and have your correspondent read the messages using
Outlook.

Finally, since you mentioned gmail, I ran into a gmail uploader
written in Python that understands mbox files.
http://www.marklyon.org/gmail/default.htm

--
Seth Goodman