[Spambayes] Spambayes Hangs When Server Can't Be Reached

Rick Friedman rickfriedman at verizon.net
Fri Oct 20 06:34:32 CEST 2006

I'm running Spambayes 1.1a3 on SuSE Linux 10.1 and have been very happy
with it.

Tonight though, I've come across a problem. I use Evolution as my email
client. I have several mail accounts setup to access mail through
sb_server.py. It has been working fine all along. However, tonight, the
remote server of one of my accounts appears to be unreachable. To check
which one it was, I restarted sb_server.py in a console.

When I tried to retrieve mail the following was displayed on the
console:

Can't connect to mail.server.net:110: (110, 'ETIMEDOUT')
   (BTW... I changed the name of the mail server in the above line)

This timeout seems to hang spambayes... it never gets the mail for my
other accounts (different mail servers). At this point, if I try to
access the Spambayes server webpage (localhost:8880) in my browser, it
never appears. The browser simply says, "Waiting for localhost."

If I remove the unreachable mail server from Evolution's mail retrieval
process (and restart sb_server.py), then spambayes retrieves mail from
all my other accounts with no problem.

It seems to me that if a remote mail server is unreachable, it shouldn't
hang spambayes like that. Spambayes should be able to successfully
complete mail retrieval of my other accounts. No?

Thanks,
Rick
--
Rick's Law: What cannot be imagined will be accomplished by a fool.
PGP Key Id: 9E1125E0