[Spambayes] Unwanted stock solicitations

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Mon Oct 23 16:36:06 CEST 2006

    Kasper> as posted elsewhere there is a NetPbm port for Windows. I think
    Kasper> it would be beneficial for Windows users if it was possible to
    Kasper> use that with SpamBayes instead of having to setup PIL/Python.

Actually, no it wouldn't.  I trust Fredrik Lundh much more to keep PIL happy
on Windows than an unknown person to keep NetPBM happy on Windows.  In
addition, it's much easier for me to manipulate images in PIL than to use
NetPBM to do it.  And (here's the kicker), since I wrote the code, I get
more votes than you. ;-)

    Kasper> First: The ocrad.exe in the download section is according to the
    Kasper> version info really v. 0.14 and is exactly the same as the one
    Kasper> in the windows installer package (and not v. 0.15 as tagged in
    Kasper> the download area!).

The only ocrad code I've ever downloaded was 0.15.  It's hard to see how I
could have 0.14.  When I extracted the tar file it created a directory named
"ocrad-0.15", and the program_version variable in main.cc is declared as

    const char * const program_version = "0.15";

Unless you have more convincing evidence to the contrary I think I have
actually been using version 0.15.  That said, Tony Meyer actually built the
version that I uploaded to SourceForge.  It's possible he used 0.14.

    Kasper> Secondly: Yes, the program runs from CMD and it actually
    Kasper> produces very nice output, but the pnm-file you link to are
    Kasper> apparently invalid.

The ocrad folks didn't open the file properly.  To the best of my knowledge
there isn't anything wrong with the pnm files I've used as examples.

    Kasper> Third: You seem to have the scale parameter format wrong, that's
    Kasper> why the output is so bad.

The -2 I used was suggested by the ocrad author.  I've tried a few other
scales.  It's not obvious that one scale is much better than another.
Still, I should make this a user-settable option.

    Kasper> Here are two test runs. First one with incorrect parameter
    Kasper> format as in your example. Second with correct scaling
    Kasper> parameter:

Whoops!  Thanks, I'll fix that pronto.

Skip