[Spambayes] Unwanted stock solicitations

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Mon Oct 23 23:28:35 CEST 2006

    >> ... Note also that installing PIL on Windows is no different than
    >> installing SpamBayes or Python.  Just double-click the installer's
    >> icon.

    Vibe> I know, but in the beginning I did only use the SB exe. Only
    Vibe> recently I did install the CygWin, Python, PIL etc. to see what it
    Vibe> was like.

Cygwin's not needed.  That's only necessary for people who need/want to
compile ocrad.  Python is included with the Outlook plugin binary installer.
You'd only need to install Python if you wanted to install it from source.
In the long run (once the current crop of problems are worked out) I'll see
what I can do to make a separate PIL installation unnecessary.

    Vibe> Fact is I chose SpamBayes over other filters because a compiled
    Vibe> exe was available. If it was only available as interpreted py
    Vibe> sources I probably wouldn't have jumped in. Of course now I know
    Vibe> how great it is ;)

At this point in time you're working with alpha-level software.  (New
functionality, likely to contain bugs, etc.)  You are more than welcome to
wait for better integration.

    Vibe> Actually I think useability is often overlooked by you wizards ;)
    Vibe> I really wanted to install and compile with MinGW but I had to
    Vibe> give up... couldn't figure out which of the ten or so different
    Vibe> packages I had to download and how to use them...

I have no idea how to do anything with mingw.

    >> Okay, I'll have to presume Tony built with 0.14 sources.  Tony?

    Vibe> I just discovered v. 0.16 sources at the ocrad site. Being my
    Vibe> first CygWin experience I couldn't make the -nmo-cygwin switch
    Vibe> work so I compiled one with the POSIX (?) emulation dll.

    Vibe> I put it here for download. It will stay online until thursday.

    Vibe> www.unlockaarhus.dk/dev/cygwin1.zip
    Vibe> www.unlockaarhus.dk/dev/ocrad.zip

    Vibe> Maybe some one could post it to the CVS if you find it
    Vibe> appropriate?  To use it download both files and extract in same
    Vibe> folder.

I'll take a look when I have a few minutes.

Thx,

Skip