[Spambayes] updating from 1.0.4 to 1.1a3

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Thu Oct 26 17:18:08 CEST 2006

    Claude> I'm currently running 1.0.4 on a Fedora Core 5 box using the
    Claude> proxy server. I'm happy with the results, but getting deluged
    Claude> with the new graphics based spam, and would like to try 1.1a3 Is
    Claude> it possible to just unpack the tarball and run it? Will it just
    Claude> replace my current installation? I'm asking because I've had
    Claude> problems previously uninstalling and reinstalling Spambayes, and
    Claude> I'm hoping I don't have to bother with an uninstall, unless I
    Claude> need to revert back to 1.0.4 later.

I run SpamBayes from the CVS repository and never uninstall, so I suspect
you'll be okay just installing 1.1a3 over 1.0.4.  You will also need to
install PIL (http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/) and ocrad
(http://www.gnu.org/software/ocrad/ocrad.html) to take advantage of the OCR
capabilities.  You should probably also install PyDNS
(http://pydns.sourceforge.net/) to get the domain-name-to-ip-address
mapping.  It's unfortunate that there are external dependencies, but we
don't have the resources to reinvent a bunch of different wheels.
Sourceforge doesn't emphasize the release notes, but they are there:

    http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=442102&group_id=61702

and should be at least glanced at.

Skip