[Spambayes] Spambayes crashes my Outlook

Roland Hordos rolandhordos at tundraeng.com
Thu Sep 14 20:21:21 CEST 2006

Hiya,

If you go to your Outlook 2003 -> [Tools] -> [E-mail Accounts] -> [View
or Change Existing E-mail Accounts] and list the name and type of each.
Then the same for [View or change existing directories or address
books].  List name and type of each.

It couldn't hurt to paste in the first part of the spambayes1.log in
your local temp directory (C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR PROFILE\Local
Settings\Temp\spambayes1.log).  For me, though, the log was not helpful
as the crash happened so early in startup.

I think you have exactly the same circumstances that I had because you
had to disable the Add-in manually.  On startup it has some protection
code in there that will automatically disable it, if it detects an
error.  Because the error I was seeing was caused by an Access Violation
(apparently out of process), it did not return a proper exception to
SpamBayes and thus left Outlook crippled.

I should warn you I'm not a regular contributor -- a SpamBayes hacker at
best.  I was simply determined to have it work, as the users were
already trained on it, it works extremely well, and it's open-source.
I've found the source code to be very well written IMHO, and I was able
to locate this bug and re-build the setup.exe with the cvs InnoSetup
instructions inside of a day.

Roland;