[Spambayes] Inconsistencies in classification between my mail reader and the web interface - being flooded by spam

Claude Jones claudejones at tehogeeservices.com
Thu Sep 28 04:10:07 CEST 2006

Backdrop: I've been using Spambayes for a couple of years, and
have had it running successfully on many computers, both Windows
and Linux. This message concerns installations on Linux boxes. In
the past few months, I've been seeing a steady deterioration of
Spambayes' performance, and it seemed like I was seeing messages
in the Web Interface Review page that were being classified as
spam, yet, in my mail reader, they were winding up in the Inbox
or my unsure folder. Tonight, I decided to take the time and
confirm that. Below are two headers from the same message, one is
a cut/paste from my Kmail reader window, and the other is a
cut/paste from my Spambayes Web Interface review page. There's
several things that show it's the exact same message. Note the
ESMTPid which are both  k8S0Y57Q009225, and the
X-Spambayes-MailId which are both 1159403792. YET, one is
classified as spam and the other is classified as unsure. How
could this be happenning?

Sometime in the past year, someone incorporated code in Kmail that
allows it to detect the presence of Spambayes on the machine in a
wizard interface, and it configures a few filters for you if you
choose to allow that. The filters are fairly innocuous, and seem
to do what they're supposed to. But, I'm wondering if they're the
problem. The filter merely examines the spambayes classification
line in the header and sends spam to the trash bin, and unsure to
a folder of your choosing, seems right to me. Then, it configures
a couple of buttons that appear on the toolbar, and those are
linked to manual filtering actions: "sb_filter.py -s" for the
spam button and "sb_filter.py -g" for the not spam button.

If the Spambayes proxy-server is processing the message, how could
one version appear in my mail reader's viewing pane, and a
different one appear in the web interface??? This is very
strange.

Thanking anyone, in advance, who has the time to look at this.

Kmail viewing pane message header