[Spambayes] SpamBayes - how to activate???

Peter Moore prmoore at newbarn91.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Aug 15 19:04:45 CEST 2007

I have a PC with XP operating System.

I have downloaded SpamBayes from your website.  The Wizard opened and took
me through the installation process successfully.  However, there is no
SpamBayes toolbar on the Microsoft Outlook screen.

I have followed the procedure you advise on your website for this problem.

i.e. Open Windows Explorer > Documents and Settings\my user name\Local
Settings> enter.

Still no SpamBayes toolbar? And I still am unable to activate SpamBayes on
my PC

The second method you recommend on the SpamBayes website does nothing to
solve the problem because the Local Settings file is already visible.

The guidance notes then suggest resetting this option back to the default
value.  I do not therefore understand what to process is supposed to have
achieved.

Windows Explorer>Documents and Settings\username opens a folder that has two
files,  “Applications Data” and “Local Settings”

When I click on the “ Local Settings” file it disappears?

Rebooting the PC does not bring up the SpamBayes toolbar.

Any thoughts/advice on this problem?

Regards

Peter Moore

For clarity – below is a cut and paste of the information I am following to
resolve the problem

Process Descriptions

This explains some of the processes above in more detail.

Determine your installation type.

If you are running from Python source code, and installed Python, plus
SpamBayes as separate components, then you are running the source code
version.  If you downloaded an installer .EXE file, then you are running the
binary version.

Check the log file

HYPERLINK
"file:///C:\\Program%20Files\\SpamBayes\\docs\\outlook\\docs\\troubleshootin
g.html#InstallationType#InstallationType"Determine your installation type.
If you are running the source code version, then please see README.txt in
the Outlook2000 directory.
If you are running the binary version, then the SpamBayes addin writes a log
in your Windows temp directory.  This directory is generally \WINDOWS\TEMP
for Windows 9x, or \Documents and Settings\{username}\Local Settings\Temp
for Windows 2000/XP.

Note that by default, in Windows 2000 and XP, Windows Explorer will not show
the Local Settings directory, as it is hidden.  You can convince Windows
Explorer to show this directory (and therefore allow you to see the Temp
directory under it by doing either:

*	Select the folder \Documents and Settings\{username}.  This
directory should be reflected in the Address Bar.  In the Address Bar,
simply type at the end "\Local Settings" (thereby giving that full path
name), and press Enter.  Explorer will then show this folder.

or

*	Select Tools->Folder Options, select the View tab, and in the list,
select Show hidden files and folders.  Select OK.  This folder will now be
visible.  You may like to then reset this option back to the default value.

The log file for the most recent execution of Outlook is named
spambayes1.log, the second most recent is named spambayes2.log, and so on
for the four previous runs.  You can view this file with notepad.  Usually,
you will simply see messages which indicate that SpamBayes is doing its job;
however in some cases there will be errors in this file.  If there are
errors, please HYPERLINK
"file:///C:\\Program%20Files\\SpamBayes\\docs\\outlook\\docs\\troubleshootin
g.html#ReportABug#ReportABug"report a bug.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
17:19