[Spambayes] Problems with source installation on confused computer

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Tue Aug 21 02:16:22 CEST 2007

> I'm running Outlook 2003 on Windows XP x64. I initially installed the
1.0.4 win32
> binary release of Spambayes but I got into hot water with outlook (it
turns out
> that was a known issue with DEP and AMD64 and Outlook not getting along,
but I
> didn't know that then).

You should try to use the binary version again then.

> ... I click the Browse button here...
> Python WNDPROC handler failed
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "D:\Data\SpamBayes\spambayes-1.1a4\Outlook2000\dialogs\dlgcore.py",
line 310, in OnCommand
>  File "D:\Data\SpamBayes\spambayes-1.1a4\Outlook2000\dialogs\dlgcore.py",
line 262, in ApplyHandlingOptionValueError
>  File
"D:\Data\SpamBayes\spambayes-1.1a4\Outlook2000\dialogs\opt_processors.py",
line 288, in OnCommand
>  File
"D:\Data\SpamBayes\spambayes-1.1a4\Outlook2000\dialogs\opt_processors.py",
line 277, in DoBrowse
> TypeError: Argument must be a 88-byte string
> Saving configuration -> C:\Documents and Settings\Pete\Application
Data\SpamBayes\Outlook.ini

> Now, there are two issues that I see here. The first (and hopefully the
> simplest) is that the button click event is not being handled by the
> code (and I would ask if anyone else sees the same problem with
> this version of spambayes - or is it just me?)

The click handler is being seen - it just fails.

> The second issue is a bit more confusing. The path listed in the traceback

> (i.e. D:\Data\SpamBayes\spambayes-1.1a4\Outlook2000\dialogs\) does
>  not exist anymore on this system - the original windows binary
> installation was installed there, but I (thought that I) properly
> uninstalled the binary windows32 package version of spambayes (or
> I thought I did, it's no longer in the installed applications
> list or on the hard drive or in the registry that I can find).

Check for rogue .pyc files on your PC - both in the "old" and "new"
locations.  You can probably remove any that you find, and they will be
rebuilt.  It is known that if you simply move .pyc files to another
location, they may refer to the original location in tracebacks - but this
isn't really considered a "bug" (and regardless, would not happen in a
binary install)

> I apologise again for the shotgun message, and if anyone can point me in
> the right direction or the right resource, I'd be most grateful. I'm
> happy to take this problem off-line if that's more appropriate too.

The "must be a 88-byte string" message has been reported before, but I'm
afraid I've no clue what causes it at this stage.

Cheers,

Mark