[Spambayes] Problem building 1.0.4 under Python 2.5

Thomas Hruska thruska at cubiclesoft.com
Wed Dec 26 15:21:20 CET 2007

Amedee Van Gasse wrote:
> On Mon, December 24, 2007 06:26, Thomas Hruska wrote:
>
>> I've figured out the problem:  Case-sensitivity.  py2exe treats imports
>> as case-sensitive and the email package in Python 2.5 changed to all
>> lower-case.  However, even the email package references itself using the
>> older naming scheme.
>
> This is logical.
>
> You are using a programming language that was designed on a Unix system
> (well... sort of. Unix-ish, this is blurred by the mists of history).
> Python is shipped as a standard component in all operating systems of the
> Unix family: Unix, Linux, BSD, Solaris, MacOS,...
> Unix-like operating systems have always been case sensitive, or at least
> since the early seventies.
>
> Python was invented in the early nineties.
>
> It is only in the early zeroties that Python was ported to
> case-insensitive operating systems like Windows.

But this is a bug in py2exe.  Python itself works just fine.  py2exe is
associating what .py files to bytecode compile based on the imports
used.  When I changed _ALL_ references that _used_ to have uppercase
letters to lowercase to match the filenames (the email package switched
to all lowercase in Python 2.5), the problem went away.  This includes
the email package itself (i.e. someone switched to lowercase but then
forgot to modify the email package completely to lowercase).  As far as
I can tell, this has nothing to do with the OS.

> I know case sensitivity is tricky for people who code in Visual Basic, but
> for C coders it should come natural.
> What is your language of choice?

C++ (Safe C++ to be specific).  Or PHP.  Depends on what I'm developing.

--
Thomas Hruska
CubicleSoft President

*NEW* MyTaskFocus 1.1