[Spambayes] Spam filtering for forwarded email to a BlackBerry

Seth Goodman sethg at goodmanassociates.com
Thu Feb 15 19:26:45 CET 2007

Clive Steeper wrote on Thursday, February 15, 2007 11:34 AM -0600:

> I know have a BlackBerry and forward several different email
> addresses to the BBY.  The problem I know have is that all the Spam I
> keep receiving, and is being filtered by SpanBytes in Outlook, is
> still getting through on to my BlackBerry.  Is there some add-in
> software which I can load onto my BBY so it too will filter all the
> *%#$ I keep getting.
>
> I run a small business so do not have access to any 'IT Techies' and
> am hoping you guys can help.

I don't use a Blackberry, but I'll take a stab at your problem.  One
possibility is to have Outlook do the forwarding after Spambayes has
filtered your mail flow.    Because of the way that Spambayes interfaces
with Outlook rules, you will probably need to move filtered good mail
into a new folder, and then have an Outlook rule forward it.  This is
not perfect, as you won't have access to the Unsure or Spam folders from
your Blackberry and you have to leave Outlook running, but it should get
rid of most spam.

Another setup that avoids two out of three of these problems is possible
if you have access to an IMAP mail server and your Blackberry mail
application can use that protocol.  You'd still need to leave Outlook
running on your desktop, but now you'd have access to all your mail
folders from the Blackberry.

--
Seth Goodman