[Spambayes] A fix for image spam???

Bill Hely bill.hely at helyholdings.com
Fri Jan 5 06:21:34 CET 2007

> Anyway, it's for Exchange (mailservers), and Spambayes isn't:
> it is for the end user with his individual mail client.

Yes, I understand that. My point was that some vendors are
specifically claiming good success with image spam, whereas my
experience is that SpamBayes doesn't handle it too well.

> It already does that for me. Doesn't it do that for you?

There's one particular type of image spam I get hundreds of every
month. It's an image promo for an investment stock. The specific
stock promoted changes almost daily. The image is always followed
by a large amount of non-spam-type text on various subjects,
which is apparently what fools SpamBayes. It catches a few of
these, but misses an awful lot, and (subjectively) doesn't seem
to be improving. More often than not these messages get rated at
0%.

I have a stock of these spam messages if anyone wants to look at
them.

> What version do you use?

I've been using the Outlook plug-in for years. Been on v1.0.4
since not long after it was released.

TIA
 - Bill

Gasse
> Sent: Friday, January 05, 2007 9:25 AM
> Cc: spambayes at python.org
> Subject: Re: [Spambayes] A fix for image spam???
>

> Op vrijdag 05-01-2007 om 08:26 uur [tijdzone +1000], schreef
> Bill Hely:
> > As a long-time SpamBayes user who finds that SpamBayes seems
> > be relatively helpless against image spam, I'm looking for
> > informed comment on the following, received from Sunbelt
> > Software:
> >
> > 	 Start Quote
> >
> > Does your Antispam solution catch Image Spam? Ninja Does!
> >
> > Rather than using possibly unpredictable heuristics or
> > computationally expensive optical character recognition,
Ninja
> > uses fingerprinting algorithms that generate identities from
> > single piece of content. Leveraging the power of the
Cloudmark

http://www.sunbelt-software.com/SunbeltMessagingNinja-Download.cf

--
We take security very seriously. All outgoing mail is
certified Virus Free. To boost YOUR security visit