[Spambayes] SpamBayes crashes silently on Mac OS X

Kevin Yank thatguy at kevinyank.com
Tue Jul 3 01:28:49 CEST 2007

Kevin Yank wrote:
> Hi Skip,
>
> skip at pobox.com wrote:
>>     Kevin> I’m using the latest SpamBayes package for Mac OS X from
>>     Kevin> http://entrian.com/sbwiki/MacOSXPackage.
>>
>>     Kevin> Although SpamBayes runs perfectly for several days following
>>     Kevin> installation, I find that after about a week of use (and
>>     Kevin> training) the SpamBayes pop3proxy begins to crash silently
>> while
>>     Kevin> I am in the process of downloading email.     ...
>>     Kevin> Any tips for diagnosing/correcting this issue?
>> Third, can you run sb_server.py under control of a debugger and let
>> me know
>> where it's executing when it crashes?  If you need help with that last
>> request, contact me offline.
>
> I’ll see what I can manage. I don’t have much experience with Python,
> but I should be able to figure it out.

Thanks for sending me your gdb setup, Skip. Unfortunately, I  don’t have
gdb on my system. Rather than chasing that, I opted to take a stab at
debugging with pdb. Unfortunately, the Python version distributed with
Mac OS X (2.3.5) doesn’t support “python -m pdb script.py” command line
syntax, so I upgraded my Python installation to 2.5.1.

Now when I launch SpamBayes, I get this:

Starting SpamBayes Server
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Library/SpamBayes/sb_server.py", line 104, in <module>
    import spambayes.message
  File "/Library/SpamBayes/spambayes/message.py", line 78
    from __future__ import generators
SyntaxError: from __future__ imports must occur at the beginning of the file

…is SpamBayes not compatible with recent versions of Python?

--
Kevin Yank