[Spambayes] Simple problem with Spambayes on Outlook 2003, XP64

Peter Naus PCPete at audiography.com.au
Sat Jul 7 03:29:52 CEST 2007

That's what I thought when I restarted after the initial crash; but removing
SB (and removing all references in the Outlook COM "manager" and rebuilding
the toolbar) hasn't fixed the problem when SB is reinstalled.

So there must be a reference or link maintained outside of the com manager
list and the toolbar file that's not properly removed or cleaned up when SB
is uninstalled. Most likely, Outlook is protecting it's references and not
allowing a "clean" uninstall after an addin has gone ballistic and Outlook
has 'disabled' it... Manually deleting the COM list entry does appear to
delete the reference, but after rebooting and reinstalling SB, Outlook
immediately crashes, so it's not a part of the SB install kit that appears
to be corrupted - unless SB stores data somewhere else (registry?) and
doesn't remove it when it is uninstalled after a problem occurs? That seems
unlikely, instead I'd be inclined to suspect Outlook, but I'm a SB newbie.

Reinstalling Outlook would almost certainly fix the problem, but that's not
really fixing anything, it's fixing the symptom. From the number of
enquiries and comments around, this issue with Outlook being unable to work
with the SB addin after a failure like this is a fairly typical problem, and
so far the only answer has been to remove Office and reinstall it.
Reinstalling windows would also fix the problem, guaranteed, but I'm
unlikely to do that either - there must be something that someone on this
list has seen that could help to identify where the "leftover" code
reference is and help to clean it up.

I'm looking, and if I find out where the problem is, I'll let everyone know,
but it's been a few years since I was the Outlook support manager, and I've
gotten very rusty. And fat. I can't slip between lines of code like I used
to...

If anyone has any ideas where to start looking, I'd be most grateful.