[Spambayes] Is Equal Ham & Spam really the best?

Carl csjrswofford at bellsouth.net
Sun Jul 29 16:19:59 CEST 2007

I begin by saying that I am neither a mathematician nor a programmer.  I
do have an understanding of statistical analysis.  I am a relatively new
user of spambayes and I am greatly please the product and the results.

I have been following the discussion of training balance with great
interest.  I do not save or archive much ham and we receive 200-300 spam
emails daily.  Therefore, I did not have 1:1 mix to train spambayes on.
My training ratio is 4957 ham to 18932 spam.  Spambayes misses a few
spams, especially as the spammers change their content and format.
Spambayes has yet to incorrectly identify a ham as spam.  I have
adjusted my filtering settings for questionable emails to 80.0 for
certain spam and 8.0 for uncertain.

I am extremely pleased with spambayes and I thank all who obviously have
put so much time into developing and tweaking this product.

Carl Swofford