[Spambayes] Help me to uninstall - please!

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Wed Mar 14 23:43:17 CET 2007

> I have used Spambayes for about a year and think it is a
> really effective
> program. However, as my anti-virus and firewall subscriptions
> were both
> about to expire I did some research and decided to go for
> Zonealarm Internet
> Security Suite. As this contains a spam filtering facility I
> have decided to
> give it a try.
>
> The problem I have is that I wish to uninstall Spambayes but
> it does not
> show up in the Add/Remove Programs listing. As a compromise (as it is
> possible I may want to use it again in the future) I disabled
> Spambayes from
> the Manager but even though I uncheck it on the Outlook
> toolbar, if I close
> and open Outlook it reappears. I don't have sufficient room
> on my toolbar
> for the (large) ZoneAlarm buttons AND Spambayes so really do want to
> uninstall it.
>
> I am running Windows XP SP2, Outlook 2000 and the latest version of
> Spambayes Version 1.0.4 (March 2005).

It is very surprising it doesn't appear in Add/Remove programs - if you used
the installer it certainly should (and does for most people)

To remove it manually, close outlook, then open a command-prompt, change to
the "\Program Files\Spambayes\bin" directory and execute:

  outlook_addin_register.exe --unregister

Then manually remove the toolbar, as documented at
http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/faq.html#how-do-i-uninstall-the-plug-in.
After that, just remove the "\Program Files\Spambayes" folder.

Cheers,

Mark