[Spambayes] Spambayes pwning me?

Amedee Van Gasse amedee at amedee.be
Mon Aug 18 10:34:46 CEST 2008

On Mon, August 18, 2008 08:22, Fu wrote:

> The fact that this has been known about and left for three years is
> insane.  Fixing DEP issues is not difficult, unless of course, the
> software has intentionally created this behavior.  If that's the case with
> SpamBayes, it should be stated outright so that people can make informed
> decisions about using the software.  I'm certainly not going to continue
> using it while it requires me to open the front door to my computer and
> invite people to come take advantage of me.

You are absolutely right, but I think there is nobody available that has
all of the below:
* experience with python programming
* experience with outlook programming
* enough spare time to work on the code. --> this might be the most
important thing

SpamBayes is not a commercial product, it is a "hobby" project that the
people who made it were kind enough to share with us. If you don't want to
use it, then don't do that. I'm a happy Linux user and I don't have any of
those problems so SpamBayes is perfect for me.

There is nothing insane about not fixing a known bug. The issue is
documented, if you want to pick it up and fix it, you will earn good
karma. Or just telling on which line in which file there may be a problem.
That is the great thing about open source: you are allowed to fix it!

--
Amedee