[Spambayes] A bug report

Juha Suomalainen juha.suomalainen at fgi.fi
Thu Dec 4 12:24:21 CET 2008

Hello coders,

I am using the SpamBayes Outlook add in with Outlook 2007 (under WinXP). As
a classifier results are seen, the plug in works perfectly, and I want to
thank all of you coders for the great work!

However from time to time I am having some problems with Spambayes freezing
my Outlook totally, if the connection to the IMAP server is busy. Our
corporate IMAP server is over  burdened and sometimes (actually quite often)
the connection to the server fails. Sometimes, but not everytime, this leads
to complete freeze of the Outlook. When I force Outlook to shut down and
restart it, Outlook says that it was the Spambayes Outlook plugin that froze
the system and asks if I would like disable it.

This behavior is same for both versions 1.0.4 and the latest alpha release
1.1a4. I haven't got a slightest idea of SpamBayes code operation, but I
wonder if this freeze-problem could be fixed by simply changing some timeout
delays or adding an emergency exit to some loop to be used if connection to
server fails.

BR:

-Juha Suomalainen