[Spambayes] Filtering Junk Mail vs Out of Office Assistant

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Fri Jan 4 15:28:02 CET 2008

    Amedee> * live with it (sorry, but it's true)

I think this is important for people to consider in general.  No spam filter
is ever going to be 100% effective.  You can classify messages until you are
blue in the face, but SpamBayes will still make the occasional mistake.  In
the words of Joel Goodsen, sometimes you have to say, "What the hell..." and
just let it go.

Like many people I get several classes of email.  I get stuff I really want
(like the mail from this list).  I get obvious spam.  And I get stuff that's
hard even for me to classify at times.  For example, I've used active.com to
register for races before, so I'm on their mailing list.  That means they
send me "stuff".  Sometimes it's mildly interesting.  Other times it's just
crap.  SpamBayes filters obviously good mail into one or more "good"
mailboxes.  It sorts the not-obviously-good email into unsure, lospam and
hispam mailboxes.  The active.com mails can wind up in all four places.  Do
I care?  No.  I simply glance at it and delete it unless it turns out to be
terribly interesting.  You learn to live with it.  There are more important
things in life for me than a perfect spam filter.

Skip