[Spambayes] [spambayes-dev] FW: =Spambayes= PLEASE REPLY TO THIS EMAIL _ IT I S VERYIMPORTANT

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Mon Jun 30 15:17:28 CEST 2008

I just noticed that the "welcome" email from the list also doesn't make it
clear this is a public list.  I added the following text as the second
paragraph of that message:


NOTE: THIS IS A PUBLIC EMAIL LIST.  Emails you send to this list will be
available publicly and archived on google and many other sites.  Once you
post to this list it can not be retracted.  Do not post personal information
to this list.






From: spambayes-dev-bounces at python.org
[mailto:spambayes-dev-bounces at python.org] On Behalf Of OConchubhair, Andoni
Sent: Monday, 30 June 2008 10:53 PM
To: 'Amedee Van Gasse'
Cc: spambayes at python.org; spambayes-dev at python.org
Subject: Re: [spambayes-dev] [Spambayes] FW: =Spambayes= PLEASE REPLY TO


The application that needs to be changed is not SpamBayes but rather the
page where I fill in my email address in order to join the mailing list. On
that page it has one simple sentence to let the user know that what they are
going to do will disseminate information to the entire internet
irretrievably. It is IMHO just not enough.

"Please note that this is a public mailing list: all messages sent to this
list are visible to the public, and are publicly archived."


-----Original Message----- 
From: Amedee Van Gasse [mailto:amedee at amedee.be] 
Sent: 30 June 2008 13:41 
To: OConchubhair, Andoni 
Cc: spambayes at python.org; spambayes-dev at python.org 
Subject: Re: [Spambayes] FW: =Spambayes= PLEASE REPLY TO THIS EMAIL _ IT I S

On Mon, June 30, 2008 14:28, OConchubhair, Andoni wrote: 
> I agree completely. The distress is self-inflicted. Just like when I close

> Microsoft Word accidentally after spending a whole day typing my report 
> and 
> thereby loose an entire day's work, but I don't because it reminds my 
> tired 
> head to click 'Save'. 
> Fortunately for me, software can easily be written to help with human 
> situations. It is one of the over-riding principals of good software 
> development that software should be written to suit the human condition 
> rather than the humans having to change the way they are to accommodate 
> the 
> software (or any machine for that matter) hence we have safety guards on 
> chain-saws and air-bags in cars. 

I'm confused about which software should be changed. Spambayes? 
I use the procmail filter at home and the outlook plugin at work, and 
neither provide a method for subscribing to the spambayes mailing list. 

However you do have one valid point of criticism. The Outlook package 
provides a link to a local html page: 
There I read the following text: 

Send a mail 
If all else fails, you may want to send someone a mail. Please make sure 
you have read this document thoroughly before doing do. 

Your mail should be sent to the SpamBayes mailing list 
(spambayes at python.org). Please do not mail any of the contributors 
directly! (see "good karma" below). 

Please ensure this mail contains: 

the version of Windows you are using, 
the version of SpamBayes, 
any log files. 
If you also mention that you read this trouble-shooting guide and are 
still stuck, then you will be more likely to get answered! (And if you can 
subscribe to this mailing list and help answer other questions, and good 
karma will come your way!) 

There is no mention about the fact that the mailing list is public on the 
local documentation page. So I would rather agree if someone would call 
this a "bug" in the documentation. This should be changed as soon as 
possible. I'm going to subscribe to the dev-list to request this. 

However on the website, near every occurrence I could find of the mailing 
list address, it is mentioned that it is a public mailing list. So there I 
would respectfully disagree with you if you say that the website should be 
changed. (correct me if I'm wrong) 


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/spambayes/attachments/20080630/d8d8fecc/attachment.htm>

More information about the SpamBayes mailing list