[Spambayes] Spambayes for Web Access client

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Mon May 12 15:56:34 CEST 2008

    Jesse> I don't think so. SpamBayes gets hooked into a e-mail client (or
    Jesse> between the client and server), but when you use the Outlook web
    Jesse> interface, there is no e-mail client, just a Web client. The
    Jesse> server generates HTML sent to the browser and interprets the
    Jesse> browser's requests, but that's HTTP traffic, not IMAP or POP3.

Hmmm...  This does suggest a way you might get this to work, though it will
take some development work.  A long time ago I wrote a SpamBayes plugin for
Amit Patel's proxy3 web proxy.  The idea was to use SpamBayes to score web
pages with the intention that you could (for example) keep your six-year-old
from (accidentally?) visiting porn websites.  You could do something similar
for web-based email clients.  Just divert the traffic for your web client
through a suitable http proxy with a SpamBayes plugin.

My initial code is in the SpamBayes repository in contrib/mod_spambayes.py.
Like I said though, it will require some work to turn this into a proper
spam filter.  Any takers?

Skip