[Spambayes] Audit SpamBayes

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Tue Jun 23 01:14:04 CEST 2009

    Chris> Here was part of my confusion: client said he wants spamassassin
    Chris> rules and spambayes advanced settings. I will have to clarify
    Chris> this tomorrow morning. Also, as i have been reading the FAQ on
    Chris> spambayes: it looks like spambayes runs on the client level?
    Chris> Either a outlook plugin or thunderbird plugin. Spambayes does not
    Chris> get installed at the server level? Do i have this correct?

    Amedee> Actually, in theory Spambayes *can* run at the server level, and
    Amedee> for some people it does. It is quite versatile. It can run as an
    Amedee> Outlook plugin, as a Thunderbird plugin (third party extension),
    Amedee> as a POP proxy, as an IMAP proxy, as a procmail filter (that's
    Amedee> how I use it) and there are probably a few other ways of using
    Amedee> it.

(Not sure how I missed Chris's response.  Oh well...)

What Amedee writes is true.  In addition, on the python.org mail server we
have SpamBayes integrated with Postfix.  I'm not sure how all the pieces fit
together, but SpamBayes runs while the SMTP connection is still open.  I
maintain the training database.  We also have minimal integration with
Mailman which allows us to score messages coming from Usenet
(comp.lang.python -> python-list at python.org).

So, yes, you can run SpamBayes on a server in many cases.

Skip