[Spambayes] Spambayes needs admin privileges to install

Amedee Van Gasse (amedee.be) amedee at amedee.be
Mon May 4 15:51:52 CEST 2009

On Mon, May 4, 2009 14:26, Whoops Twelve wrote:
> Dear Amedee,
>

> That's why I put the word 'feature' in quotation marks that way.  It's
> merely the easiest way to perform an install and allow registry changes to
>  be made, so it was adopted by default by most installers.
>
> Sorry, meant to make a little joke.  I think that Administrator-level
> privilege is necessary to modify the registry, though.
>
> Best Regards,
>

> Doug Hayden

OK, now I understand the joke.
I agree that it is the easiest way to do things, but it's not the best way.
You don't need admin privs to modify HKCU, only for HKLM.
Modern installers ask the user if he wants to install for veryone on the
pc (HKLM) or only for the current user (HKCU).
It's not because I'm a Linux geek, that I am totally ignorant about
Windows. I claim that I know Windows better than most certified Windows
admins... ;-)

--
Amedee