[Spambayes] SpamBayes 1.1a4 on Windows XP (correction)

Kyle Allender kylea at netins.net
Fri May 8 06:15:11 CEST 2009

Kyle Allender wrote:
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> Encountered an error after a clean install of SpamBayes 1.1a4 with
>>> Thunderbird 2.0.0.21:
>>>
>>> *Training...*
>>>

>>>      500 Server error
>>>
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>>
>>>  File "spambayes\Dibbler.pyc", line 476, in found_terminator
>>>
>>>  File "spambayes\UserInterface.pyc", line 561, in onTrain
>>>
>>>  File "spambayes\Stats.pyc", line 134, in RecordTraining
>>>
>>>  File "spambayes\message.pyc", line 147, in set_persistent_statistics
>>>
>>>  File "shelve.pyc", line 130, in __setitem__
>>>
>>> TypeError: object does not support item assignment
>>>

>>> This error occurred when I was attempting to train on a previously
>>> collected directory of spam messages.  Any hints?  This is Windows
>>> XP SP
>>> 3, Python 2.6.2.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Per advice, I am attaching the log file for review as well.  I do
>>> note that the beginning of the log the statement "Service not
>>> available."  I had to manually remove the pop3proxy service after a
>>>
>>> I have not yet rebooted since the clean install - I did not
>>> specifically install a service on this go-round - I didn't see it as
>>> an option using the GUI installer, either.

>>> 270.12.18/2098 - Release Date: 05/05/09 08:05:00
>>>
>> After running sb_service.exe -install, I attempted to start the
>> Service via Service Manager.  The error received was:  "Windows could
>> not start the SpamBayes Service on Local Computer.  For more
>> information, review the System Event Log.  If this is a non-Microsoft
>> service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific
>> error code 1."
>>
>> The Application Event Log contains three errors related to SpamBayes:
>>
>> 1:  The SpamBayes proxy service could not be started, as another
>> SpamBayes server is already running on this machine
>>
>> 2:  The instance's SvcRun() method failed
>>  File "win32serviceutil.pyc", line 789, in SvcRun
>>  File "win32serviceutil.pyc", line 760, in ReportServiceStatus
>> pywintypes.error: (6, 'SetServiceStatus', 'The handle is invalid.')
>>
>> 3:  SetServiceStatus failed setting STOPPED status Error 6 - The
>> handle is invalid.
>>
>> Did starting the tray service prevent the SpamBayes service from
>> running?  Can they both be running at the same time?
>>
>> A reboot has temporarily seemed to address tis issue.  The service
>> will start manually (I don't yet have it set to automatic), though
>> training still fails.  0 messages are classified as spam
>> post-training and the log shows the attached.  I thought I was
>> following directions pretty well, but I have apparently missed
>> something somewhere along the line.  Any advice would be appreciated.

>> 270.12.18/2098 - Release Date: 05/05/09 08:05:00
>>

>>     Kyle> WindowsError: [Errno 2] The system cannot find the file
>> specified: 'http://localhost:8880/config'
>>
>> Can you reach
>>
>>     http://127.0.0.1:8880/
>>     http://127.0.0.1:8880/config

> [...]
I also discovered today that the proxied messages are being stored in
the directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Application
Data\SpamBayes\Proxy\pop3proxy-spam-cache

I found these when AVG performed its scan of the system and found quite
a few trojans hiding in this directory.  So it would appear as though
the training begins to occur with messages being cached, but the
database isn't being written to perhaps?

Can anyone shed light on this situation?

Thanks for any assistance.