[Spambayes] Win 7, Outlook 2007 issues

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Mon Mar 29 23:31:01 CEST 2010

On 30/03/2010 5:27 AM, Ocean wrote:
>> On 18/03/2010 11:17 AM, Ocean wrote:
>>>
>>> 	We established earlier that under Win 7 x64, the Trace Collector
>>> doesn't work.
>>
>> Try again with the new binary - I expect the trace collector to work
> there.
>>

> 	Will it only work with the binary, or can I run it from source?

The binary is built from source, so it should work fine as long as you
have the latest pywin32 installed.

>>> 	If you (or someone else) can help me get logging to file enabled,
>>> I'd be able to provide more useful information.
>>>

>> The fact this doesn't work implies spambayes isn't even being loaded.
>> This is where I got lost before - there seems to be some confusion about
>> whether spambayes is being loaded and then failing, or simply failing to
>> load.  If the latter then it is expected that spambayes will not log any
>> information - it can only do so once loaded.
>
> 	Well, given the fact that I can run the Trace Collector from within
> SpamBayes, and it will show logging implies that it's definitely loaded
> (once I do it manually).  However, I still can't run an external Trace
> Collector to grab startup logs, nor is a log file ever created with the
> changes I made to the source.

I'm afraid something here isn't correct - either the patches applied are
incorrect meaning the logs aren't being redirected as expected, or the
code isn't being executed.  It wasn't obvious to me that your patch was
incorrect, so I can only speculate it isn't being loaded - but if you
have any other explanations I'd like to hear them...

Alternatively, try again with the binary to confirm things work as
expected, then move to the source version with no changes to ensure
things *still* work in an identical fashion, and then make your code
changes to change the functionality.

Cheers,

Mark