[Spambayes] Gmail

Jim McMaster jim.mcmaster at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 18:41:29 CEST 2011

I switched from comcast.net and Outlook with SpamBayes to gmail several
years ago.  I get much less spam now than I did then.  Gmail's spam filter
does a better job, because you have hundreds of millions of users training
it instead of just you.  I maintained SpamBayes, Outlook and comcast for
another few years for my tech-phobic wife.  I finally got her to switch to
gmail and dropped the whole PC mess.  She is much happier as well.

It is easy to create a gmail account and set it up to POP email from your
old address, so your old one still works with a few-minute delay before
GMail's next POP request.  I set up a Gmail filter to add a "ComCast" label
to all that email.  Every so often, I notify people I care about of my new
address, change it on registered websites and so forth.  It works quite
well, and only a few mails come through with a ComCast label anymore.

Disclaimer:  I work for Google, but not on GMail.  I started working for
Google after I made the switch, but before I switched my wife.

Jim McMaster
mailto:jim.mcmaster at gmail.com