[Spambayes] SpamBayes 1.1a6 not working since upgrade Debian Lenny -> Squeeze (with Python 2.6.6)

Amedee Van Gasse amedee at vangasse.eu
Wed Jun 15 17:49:24 CEST 2011

A couple of days ago I upgraded my server from Debian Lenny to Debian
Squeeze. Since then I'm seeing these lines in my procmail.log:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/sb_filter.py", line 4, in <module>
    import pkg_resources
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 2671, in
<module>
    working_set.require(__requires__)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 654, in
require
    needed = self.resolve(parse_requirements(requirements))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 552, in
resolve
    raise DistributionNotFound(req)
pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: spambayes==1.1a6
procmail: Program failure (1) of "/usr/bin/sb_filter.py"
procmail: Rescue of unfiltered data succeeded

My best guess is that the Debian upgrade included an upgrade of Python,
and that this is related to the messages that I'm seeing. This is my
current version of Python:

$ python --version
Python 2.6.6

According to the 1.0.4 release notes, the 1.1 version is built with Python
2.4.
According to the 1.1a6 release notes, Python >= 2.4 is required. (your
work, Skip)

My questions are:
* is SpamBayes 1.1a6 compatible with Python 2.6.6?
* if yes: what is my next course of action to make it work again?
* if no: how can I help? I have never written anything in Python but how
hard can it be?

--
Amedee