[Spambayes] Installing SpamBayes on Windows 7 64-bit with Outlook 2007

bgardner at iprotech.info bgardner at iprotech.info
Wed Jan 25 01:07:57 CET 2012

Hello, list.

I just got SpamBayes running on Windows 7 64-bit with Outlook 2007.  I couldn't have done it without hints from here and there on the web, so I want to share what I've learned in hope that it will help someone else.

I’m moving from 32-bit XP with Outlook 2007 to 64-bit Windows 7 with Outlook 7.  Outlook is connecting to an Exchange 2003 server.

The old version was v1.0.4.  The new versions reports itself as v1.1b2 although it was installed from a file named 'spambayes-1.1a6.exe' downloaded 2012-01-24 from http://sourceforge.net/projects/spambayes/files/spambayes/1.1a6/spambayes-1.1a6.exe/download.

I read here (http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/faq.html#can-i-share-move-my-training-data-from-one-computer-to-another) that it is best to copy the database files to the new installation, but leave the .ini file behind, so I copied the .db files in c:\documents and settings\<username>\application data\SpamBayes to my new machine.  Initially I copied them to c:\users\<username>\appdata\local\SpamBayes, but that didn't work out.  More on that later.

I read here (http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/) that it is suggested to install SpamBayes to a non-standard directory, so I installed to c:\SpamBayes.  Interestingly, the installer didn't think I had Outlook installed.  I had to tell it to install anyway.  I believe this is caused by the change in folder structure in 64-bit Windows.  Outlook 2007 is a 32-bit app so it gets installed under c:\program files (x86) on a 64-bit machine.

Running Outlook for the first time after installing, there was no SpamBayes toolbar and SpamBayes did not show up as an installed add-in.  I started researching how to install a generic Outlook add-in and found this page (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb206739%28v=office.12%29.aspx), which lead me to the registry.  There was no HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\SpamBayes.OutlookAddin key, so I created one by eyeball-copying the info from my old machine.  Here's what I put in:

32-bit DWORD, name: CommandLineSafe, value: 0

32-bit DWORD, name: LoadBehavior, value: 3

String, name: Description, value: SpamBayes anti-spam tool

String, name: FriendlyName, value: SpamBayes

After that, when starting Outlook, SpamBayes appeared to work.  The initial config wizard came up and the toolbar was present.  However, it seemed that the system wasn't seeing my migrated .db files.  I set up which folders to watch and where to move messages, then in SpamBayes Manager on the Advanced tab, I clicked the Show Data Folder button and saw that SpamBayes was expecting .db files in c:\users\<username>\appdata\roaming\SpamBayes.  So I closed Outlook and moved my .db files into that folder.  Opening Outlook again, 'Training database status' on the SpamBayes Manager general tab reported the correct number of learned good and spam, so I figure it's working.

Install to a non-standard directory (ex: c:\SpamBayes)

.db files should be in c:\users\<username>\appdata\roaming\SpamBayes

Need appropriate info in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\SpamBayes.OutlookAddin

Cheers,

Brent Gardner