[Spambayes] trouble with 1.1a6 on linux

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Wed Jul 25 21:58:01 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 10:01:14PM -0400, fred smith wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 12:03:03PM -0400, fred smith wrote:
> > I've been using spambayes on my linux system for years, always with great
> > results.
> >
> > The system is running Centos 5.x (where x is latest), which claims to
> > have pyton 2.4.3.
> >
> > It's been running Spambayes 1.1a4 for some time, but on a whim I decided
> > to update it to 1.1a6, yesterday.

<snip>

> > overnight, when the database tools run (to, I assume, train/re-train,
> > and whatever else they do) the email notification gave me the
> > following message(s):
> >
> > Attempted to set [Storage] persistent_use_database with invalid value True
> > +(<type 'str'>)
> > Traceback (most recent call last):

<snip>

> >   File
> > +"/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/lockfile-0.9.1-py2.4.egg/lockfile/linklockfil
> > +e.py", line 6
> >     from . import (LockBase, LockFailed, NotLocked, NotMyLock, LockTimeout,
> >          ^
> > SyntaxError: invalid syntax
> >

> and I bet that "from . import..." statement is the culprit (and possibly
> others like it).
>
> This version of LInux uses Pyton 2.4.3. the spambayes documentation says
> 2.2 should work. but looking at python.org I see that the syntax used above
> didn't exist before 2.5.

OK, problem "solved"... for values of "solved", by removing all traces
of the newer version and doing a fresh install of 1.1a4.

In at least some places on the SpamBayes web site (and/or in the various
documentation files included inside the package) it clearly says that
1.1a6 (and even 1.1b1) CAN RUN WITH PYTHON 2.2.

This is BLATANTLY INCORRECT.

Please, someone, go fix that error so someone else doesn't get stuck in
this same ghetto.

The "from . import" syntax DOES NOT WORK ON PYTHON 2.4.3.

I don't really know if there may also be other gotchas, too, re version
compatibility, but there is at least that one, in several places.

Nevertheless, I don't mean to be complaining, I'm just hoping to warn
others before they land here where I've been.

I think  SpamBayes is great! I've been using it for several years and
love it. thanks MUCHLY for the wonderful tool!

Fred
                     all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."