[Spambayes] gocr.exe Crash - Possible Solution

bjn5053 bjn5053 at gmail.com
Thu May 3 05:57:39 CEST 2012

I was experiencing gocr.exe crashes when using Spambayes. Through an
internet search, I thought that a updated version of gocr.exe was needed. So
far, the following solution has stopped my crashes:

1. Go to http://jocr.sourceforge.net/download.html and click the link for
Windows-binary download gocr049.exe.
2. Close and running instances of Outlook and/or Spambayes.
3. Now go to the Bin folder where your Spambayes is installed. The
recommendation is for Spambayes to be installed directly in the C:\ folder -
the Bin folder should be located at C:\Spambayes\Bin.
4. Rename the gocr.exe file in the Bin folder (to something like gocr.old or
gocr.123.
5. Locate the file you downloaded in step one. Move or copy it to
C:\Spambayes\Bin
6. Rename this file from gocr049.exe to gocr.exe

Now you can open Outlook and you should not get any more gocr.exe crashes.

(The gocr.exe file that downloads and is installed with Spambayes is version
0.46. The new, updated one is version 0.49)

Good luck!

Bjn5053