[Spambayes] SpamBayes 1.1a6 problems with Office 2010 64-bit

Ed Hart edh at stingcom.com
Wed Feb 13 04:41:40 CET 2013

I am having problems getting SpamBayes working on my PC.  I'm running
Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 with Office 2010 (both 64-bit) and
installed SpamBayes 1.1a6.  When I install it, everything looks like it
completed successfully, but when I open Outlook, it doesn't work.  I'm
not getting any error messages for it, it just isn't there.  I read
through the troubleshooting guide and searched online, but did not find
anything that helped.  Here is what I have found (or not found) so far:

I looked for the log file, but did not find one.  I also searched my
hard drive for anything with SpamBayes in the name, but did not find any
log files.

I went into Outlook, to the COM Add-Ins section, and SpamBayes was not
listed.

I ran the outlook_addin_register.exe file in the SpamBayes/bin
directory, then SpamBayes was in the COMS Add-Ins section and checked,
but was still not loaded in Outlook 2010.

I restarted Outlook, then checked the COM Add-Ins again.  This time it
was there but un-checked.  When I selected it, at the bottom of the box
it said "Load Behavior:  Not loaded. A runtime error occurred during the

After I checked it, I tried restarting Outlook again, and it was again
un-checked.  I re-checked the box, then restarted Outlook again, but it
still did the same thing.

I verified that I am logged in as an administrator, and the SpamBayes
folder is set to allow Full-Control.  Just to make sure, I set it to
allow Full-Control for everyone, but it did not make a difference.

I checked the DEP settings, it is set to "Turn on DEP for essential
Windows programs and services only"

I also tried installing SpamBayes in C:\SpamBayes instead of the default
folder, and then went through all of the above steps again, but it made
no difference.

I'm hoping someone can help me with this, let me know if anyone has any
ideas or if you need additional information, thanks!

Edward D. Hart

Senior RF Engineer

Sting Communications

Tel:  (717) 769-1340