[Spambayes] Outlook 2013

Thomas Hruska thruska at cubiclesoft.com
Mon Jan 14 12:15:49 CET 2013

On 1/13/2013 9:13 PM, Skip Montanaro wrote:
> Perhaps you have forgotten that SpamBayes is open source software.
> You (or anyone else) are more than welcome to grab the source and do
> what needs to be done to get SpamBayes working again with more recent
> versions of Windows.  I have put out the plea for developers various
> places more than once and have always been met with silence.

This is where you officially move the project(s) to GitHub and pay
attention to pull requests.  You're more likely to get people
contributing on GitHub than SourceForge.  Forking, modifying, and
submitting pull requests is just as easy as merging and accepting the
pull request into the main branch.  If you don't want to do any
development (the hard part anyway), the key is to stay on top of pull
requests and don't let them sit around in the queue for more than a
couple weeks.  The work on your end becomes rather minimal - taking more
of a hands-off managerial role.

Automating builds is also important so that someone can grab the latest
binaries and run them.  Once the automated system works, it is also
fairly hands-off.

> As one of the lesser SpamBayes developers, I actually find I no longer
> need SpamBayes.  Over time, the various organizations which provide me
> with my daily diet of email (pobox.com and Gmail) have gotten better
> and better at filtering out spam.  Before I actually stopped using it,
> those providers did such a good job that it was pretty rare that the
> software was even exercised.  I suspect some of the other SpamBayes
> developers may also be former SpamBayes users.  Time marches on.

I suspected this was the case.  A move to GitHub would at least afford
new life into the product.  There's always room for improvement.
Spambayes is still useful as a tool in corporate environments where most
companies have their own mail servers and half of the anti-spam
appliances are terrible at dealing with spam (legit mail gets hung up
more often than not and spam leaks like a sieve).  For example, Postini
is owned by Google, but it does a rather terrible job at filtering spam.
  Google has plans to shut it down though.  At that point, companies
might come running to solutions like this if they don't like the
results.  Positioning this project for that possible eventuality would
be a smart move.

The key to developing software is to use it daily.  You might want to
consider dropping pobox.com and Gmail if their anti-spam measures are so
good that you no longer feel the need to develop this product.
Enterprises still need good server and client-side anti-spam tools and
that likely won't change any time soon.  To that end, this product
should shift focus from meeting individual needs to the needs of the
enterprise.

--
Thomas Hruska
CubicleSoft President

I've got great, time saving software that you might find useful.

http://cubiclesoft.com/