[Spambayes] Problem with SpamBayes Proxy: Cannot configure

Dale Schroeder dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com
Mon Oct 28 21:48:17 CET 2013

The failure would be because SpamBayes is not functioning.  Until it is,
you will need to revert the Windows Mail config as it was before.  Once
you get spambayes working, then make the client changes.
My spambayes server is on a remote host, so an outbound firewall rule
for tcp port 8880 was required; however, I have assumed you are running
spambayes on the same system as Windows Live, so that should not be an
issue.
I'll do my best to guide you in the error messages you've listed below.
Truthfully, it looks like some of the defaults were not set during the
install; or perhaps, a default bayescustomize.ini file was not created
for you.

On 10/28/2013 1:28 PM, A. J. wrote:
> Dale,
> Forgot to mention that I now cannot receive/send emails after making
> the changes you suggested.
> Get this error message from Windows Live Mail:
> Unable to send or receive messages for the AJ Mail account. The
> connection to the server has failed.
> Server: 'localhost'
> Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E
> Protocol: POP3
> Port: 8110
> Secure(SSL): Yes

These options should be on the main config page.  The section in
brackets identifies the configuration section on the web page and is
located immediately below the pop3 proxy options.
The 1st two can be blank, but the word "none" is not allowed.  The third
has only 2 options, as indicated in the error message.  I believe the
default is false.
>#
>
> # 'None' is not a value valid for [Storage Options] Storage file name
> # 'None' is not a value valid for [Storage Options] Message information
> file name
> # 'None' is not a value valid for [Storage Options] Cache messages.
> Valid values are: False,True
> # 'None' is not a value valid for [Storage Options] Suppress caching of
> bulk ham. Valid values are: False,True
> # 'None' is not a value valid for [Storage Options] Maximum size of
> cached messages

Storage Options is the 2nd to last section on the main config page.
The 1st 2 options are the full paths of where you would like to store
your mail databases (including the database file name). A good place
would be the directory where your bayescustomize.ini file is located.
3rd value, I use true.
4th value, I use false
5th value, I use 1000000
>#
>
> # 'None' is not a value valid for [Statistics Options] Ham cutoff
> # 'None' is not a value valid for [Statistics Options] Spam cutoff

These should be located at the bottom of the main config page.  I am
currently using 0.6 for spam and 0.5 for ham.
If you cannot see these options on the web config page, then I surmise
that your installation is corrupt, and you will need to reinstall.

You could also edit the bayescustomize.ini file manually.  Below is my
sanitized ini file, but note that some of these options are from the
advanced and experimental config pages and are not require for a working
spambayes.

[html_ui]
allow_remote_connections:* #you probably want this value to be localhost or 127.0.0.1
default_ham_action:discard
default_spam_action:discard
default_unsure_action:discard
display_score:True

[Headers]
notate_subject:
notate_to:

header_score_digits:3
include_score:True

[Storage]
messageinfo_storage_file:/var/spambayes/spambayes.messageinfo.db  #on a Windows machine this would be something like file:C:\path\to\file
no_cache_large_messages:1000000
persistent_storage_file:/var/spambayes/hammie.db  #on a Windows machine this would be something like file:C:\path\to\file

ham_cache:/var/spambayes/pop3proxy-ham-cache #on a Windows machine this would be something like C:\path\to\directory
spam_cache:/var/spambayes/pop3proxy-spam-cache #on a Windows machine this would be something like C:\path\to\directory
unknown_cache:/var/spambayes/pop3proxy-unknown-cache #on a Windows machine this would be something like C:\path\to\directory
cache_expiry_days:3

[pop3proxy]
listen_ports:8110
remote_servers:mail.some_server.com
allow_remote_connections:192.168.x.* #you probably don't want anything this open.  I'm using one server for an entire office.

[smtpproxy]
ham_address:
listen_ports:8025
remote_servers: